Are you an expert in your industry? Does saying you’re an expert make you uncomfortable? Well, if you have the expertise, then it shouldn’t.
We can always learn how to speak about ourselves better. If you have the experience and the knowledge, but aren’t sure how to package it properly, then this is the episode for you.
Ashley AsShire is the foremost career development expert and she gave us some game in this episode.
Ashley is a writer, speaker, and career development strategist who thrives at the intersection of storytelling, career development, and community development among women.
Ashley teaches highly-motivated new and mid-level professional women how to identify their career area of impact, manage up, get their ideas heard at work, and get paid for the value they bring to the organization.
She has worked in corporate, nonprofit, and educational leadership for nearly 15 years, currently serving as a senior-level administrator and professor in the College of Education at a large research 1 university in the Northeast.
Ashley is the founder of Mentor Me, a career and leadership development platform for professional women. Ashley leveraged her proven career advancement strategies and developed a high-impact framework for helping women get unstuck in life and career. She uses mentoring to serve women and teach them how to utilize their leadership skills to thrive personally and professionally.
You are an expert
In this episode we covered…
- How Ashley realized she was good at career development when she gave a friend strategies on how to position herself for an interview.
- Why Ashley added a section on her podcast title Mentor Me to help professional women make more money and prepare them to advance in their careers.
- A trend that Ashley sees with black women being over credentialed, in debt, while working multiple very low paying and visible jobs.
- Why black women in particular need to use what they have and unlearn being defined and validated by degrees.
- How Ashley teaches strategies for leveraging your purpose to position yourself as an expert in your industry.
- The need for everyone to have the following skills: futuristic thinking, judicious escalation and de escalation tactics, program service optimization, leveraging data to tell stories, ethical and Justice Center decision making empathetic and identity centered leadership, project management and situational awareness.
Ashley is the real deal. She gave us some game and taught us how to leverage our purpose, skills, and unique talents and abilities to position ourselves as experts. You are smart and capable. You have the experience and the knowledge, you just need to package it properly.
If you enjoyed this episode, then you may also enjoy the episode of the show about the fear of success and how it hinders purpose or this episode detailing what to expect when operating in your purpose.
Rate, Review, and Follow on Apple Podcasts
“I love The Purpose Collective podcast.” <– If that sounds like you, please consider rating and reviewing my show! This helps me support more people — just like you — move toward the online life and business that they desire. Click here, scroll to the bottom, tap to rate with five stars, and select “Write a Review.” Then be sure to let me know what you loved most about the episode!
Also, if you haven’t done so already, follow the podcast. Follow on Apple Podcasts now!
Subscribe on Google Podcasts.
Follow the show on Spotify.
Follow the show on Audible.
Follow the show on Amazon Music.
Want to Support the Show?
If you would like to support the show, I discovered a super cool way for you to get in on the action, and that is by “buying me a coffee.” I don’t actually drink coffee, but the idea behind the site is for supporters of Content Creators (that’s you) to be able to help the Creator (that’s me) with expenses required to produce the content they create (that’s the show).
Click the button below to donate.
Connect With Me
If you want to connect with other purpose-driven movers and shakers, then join The Purpose Collective Community on Facebook. It’s exclusive and FREE.
If you have any questions you can always email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or join my Purpose Diary newsletter below and my tips, experiences, and advice about navigating a life of purpose are all yours, every week!
Disclaimer: If you happen to purchase anything I recommend in this or any of my communications, it’s likely I’ll receive some kind of affiliate compensation. Still, I only recommend things that I truly believe in and have personally experienced. If you ever have an issue with anything I recommend, please let me know. My goal is to help you thrive in your purpose. — Pavielle